Monday, January 14, 2013

Other things that scare me...

A Pensive Mood

As the need to pack up my room at my apartment at school grows more pressing, I have grown reminiscent about this past semester. Not only did I do well in my classes, they provided me with some incredible practical experiences that will certainly serve me well during my internship. The business program at my school is phenomenal - classes, professors, and fellow students, all. Academically, I do not think that there has been another semester that rivals the experience I gained this past fall (or the stress of it all).

Although I am grateful for what I learned last semester, I will really cherish the friendships that have grown. I have become closer to so many of my fellow students and professors, and I cannot have asked for any more support, friendship, rivalry, or camaraderie. 

While I know that if I stuck around for the spring, these friendships would continue to grow, the timing of my study abroad could not feel more perfect. It is time for me to leave for a while, to go somewhere new, experience some new things, meet some new people. I know that I will long for home while I am away, but that will just make my return ever more sweet. 

The only true regret that I have for being away is not having this last semester with the seniors who will be graduating this May. So many of them have become good friends, and the bittersweet sting of their graduation grows sharper with the knowledge that I might not get to see many of them after their graduation, and definitely not altogether and as easily. But, with their graduation comes my senior year, and I could not be more excited for what that year will bring. I can honestly say that every single semester of college has been even better than the last, and I am growing glum about my ever-nearing graduation when I have to leave this place.

So, before I grow too pensive about not being at my home school this spring, let me inventory some more of the things I grow nervous about.



Other Things That Scare Me

More issues? I've got plenty...



  1. Packing. I am not a light packer, and five months is a long time. And a lot of seasons. Yikes.
  2. Weather. It is going to be COLD when I arrive. I am not good at dressing for cold. At all. Help.
  3. Transportation. Not only am I not versed in the ways of public transportation (at ALL), but it is all in a different language. Erhm...
  4. Money. If I don't know the words for numbers, how will I pay the correct amount for things?! One of my lesser worries, but still...
  5. Smiling. This is silly, but I smile a lot. Usually I just don't know what is going on, so I just smile and people think I know what's up. Czechs (apparently) are quite reserved. I am not. Especially with smiling. Hello, tourist!
  6. Not having a smartphone! Okay, first-world problems, but really! I use my Android for everything: navigation, to look things up, to keep my schedule & calendar, as my alarm, to do math, to TEXT! Sometimes, I even use it as a phone! I will, of course, have a phone, but no doubt it will be a brick. Hey, at least I probably won't break it!
  7. Shopping. Groceries and toiletries will probably be difficult at first, and I am sure I will make a few mistakes. I have read several stories about accidents involving cereal with buttermilk....yum?
  8. Cooking. This kind of goes with shopping, but I am not a super great cook to begin with. Having ingredients in a different language will probably not make me any better. I think I will just stick to the basics (fruit, veggies, bread, eggs, etc.) and eat out a lot. Not that I am complaining!


Well, that is all for now. I know that this will be a life-changing, invaluable experience for me, but that doesn't stop me from being the control freak that I am and wanting to know every in and out before I go! Oh well, maybe this experience will teach me how to be a little more flexible. One can hope.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment