Saturday, February 16, 2013

Let's get naked!

But first, you have to read about my day so far =)

After an enormous and delicious brunch at Cafe Amandine this morning (yes, I actually ate by myself for once), I decided to roam around the wet and snowy streets and just explore a bit. I walked along the side roads, and just headed in the general direction of Old Town, when I happened to stumble upon what could only have been Wenceslas Square! I had been meaning to make my way there, but it was even better to just happen to wander there and realize, once again, just how close it is to my apartment!

I window shopped and just followed the general flow of people, and of course I end up at another place I know, the Powder Gate and Municipal House! Yay for learning my way around! I decided to go into the huge mall that resides right across the road, in the center of Prague, PALLADIUM. Carly, Katie, Jacqueline and I had wandered in last weekend, and I figured this would be a good opportunity to explore. That mall is huge, and beautiful, and full of expensive and beautiful things. Seriously, this mall rivals Annapolis, not quite in size (although it has like 5 floors), but definitely in quality of stores, and it is much prettier. I ended up only buying a scarf, but I walked around a ton, and again, window shopped.

I made my way back out into the wet, and headed back towards Wenceslas Square. I went in a few stores here and there, but didn't buy anything. I decided not to take the same way home that I took there, so I got lost, but eventually ended up back at my apartment. I spent two hours just wandering today, and I am just amazed at how much one city can hold. Seriously, being from the suburbs and only really visiting Baltimore and Annapolis, which don't really compare in their intricacy, it is crazy for me to see the massive amount of everything that can fit into a city. Needless to say, there are tons and tons of restaurants, bars, and shops right around the corner. I can't wait to check them out!

My plans for the rest of today are still evolving, but a trip to the gym (and jacuzzi and sauna, of course) and then the grocery store are in order. Maybe later I will build up the courage to knock on one of my roommates' doors and see if they want to go get a beer and some dinner. Seriously, I don't understand why they can't be normal and come out of their rooms...or make noise...or use the kitchen...like normal people. Oh, well. Maybe eventually.




For now, I will leave you with three random notes (and finally, some nudity, as promised), and a video.

1. It is one thing to see beer and wine in the grocery store, though even that took a little getting used to, as the county I live in at home sells all alcohol in a liquor store, but I am not sure I will ever get used to seeing a wall full of hard liquor in the middle of the grocery store. It is so weird! It makes me feel like I am 15 and walking through a liquor store trying to be inconspicuous...are people watching me, is this okay, is it weird if I look around, will they really let me buy this? So, I haven't actually bought any liquor here, but you get the idea. I did buy a bottle of wine the other day, and it was absolutely horrible. I took a couple sips and the rest went down the drain. So sad, because I really do enjoy wine. I think they mislabeled the vinegar, though. Yuck!

2. I don't know if I just look really approachable, or what, but people love to ask me questions here. Most of the time, Czech people ask me things, and sometimes I can answer, but not usually. The other day as I was waiting for the tram to go to work, a woman started asking me something in Czech, and I shook my head and responded in English, "I'm sorry." She gave a surprised "oh" and asked me if I had a tissue in English. I did indeed have a tissue to give her, but there were at least fifteen other people around. Why me? I am not sure. Maybe I just look like a tissue-carrier. Stuff like this happens to me all the time, and I feel so bad because if I could only understand these people, I might actually be able to help them!

3. People are cool about getting naked. Here, they actually use the locker rooms at the gym the way I think they are mean to be used. Being an athlete, I have spent a lot of time in locker rooms, with random strangers at the gym and with my teammates throughout school, and never in the States have I seen people care less about who sees them naked. I used to laugh at this, but, I mean, it's kind of refreshing. Okay, that sounds really awkward, but seriously, have you ever tried to change in the locker room without anybody seeing your privates? It kind of makes it even more awkward, especially when you trip yourself on your dripping wet bathing suit or can't get your sports bra off because you are so sweaty. It is honestly so much easier to just get freaking naked and not care who sees! Besides, I don't know anybody here, and if they want to make fun of my body with their friends, I won't understand what they're saying, anyways, so who cares?! I don't think they would, though. It is so completely normal here to just strip down and stand around in your birthday suit, or to blow dry your hair in just your undies in the middle of the locker room, that nobody really cares or notices. I love the freedom of being able to just strip down and get naked in a semi-public place! Heads up teammates! Haha. Just kidding (maybe).


Lastly, the guys on the baseball team at home made their own version of the Harlem Shake video. It is quite hilarious. Good job, guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment