Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My apartment had one fork...

But then I found IKEA today and bought some more!


So, this is basically a list of essentially useless but possibly interesting things that are going on in my life right now or that I have noticed here in Prague. Maybe you will enjoy them:


1. People do not say excuse me. Like, ever. Not even just to me, to anyone!

2. Getting to IKEA from my apartment is cake. Getting back with two giant bags is still cake, but slightly embarrassing. It is also really annoying when you are carrying two giant IKEA bags and a purse and get stopped in the middle of the platform and asked for your metro pass. I'm not bitter.

3. I go to the grocery store almost every day, yet still mostly eat bread, eggs, fruit, and yogurt. I have, however, started buying stuff for and eating salad, too. At least it's healthy.

4. I have finally gotten my suitcases completely unpacked and put away. FINALLY!

5. My closet is not big enough for all of my clothes, or all of the 74 wooden hangers I bought today. So, now I have to go buy some kind of cheap rack/wardrobe thing. I'll get to carry that onto the metro/tram/bus, too  -___-

6. Speaking of hangers, IKEA is literally the only place that I have come across that sells hangers (well, Tesco sells children's hangers, but those are pretty much useless to me, although cute with Winnie the Pooh on them).

7. I really do live in the eye of the city. It is absolutely amazing.

8. I actually do have more than one roommate. Who knew? My one roommate, Fabio, at least makes a daily appearance: usually I will at least see him when he gets home from work or while he is making dinner, sometimes more often. Of the other two, one is never here, and the other is a ghost. I am not kidding. Days pass without me seeing them. Too weird.

9. Carly is visiting!! She and two of her roommates in Rome, Katherine and Jacqueline, are flying in tomorrow evening. Yay, friends!! I have found some really interesting places for us to check out. I cannot wait!!! I will take tons of pictures, too!

10. There is construction going on on the ground floor in my building. They are apparently putting a restaurant in down there - eventually. They have a ton of work left. The construction wakes me up almost every morning at 8am, but the overpowering smell of sawdust in the stairwell makes me think of my daddy.

11. I rode a public bus in Prague for the first time today! It was just the IKEA bus, but still...

12. I am still a little scared to go to a restaurant by myself. I hate eating alone in a restaurant in the States, and that hatred has come along with me to Prague, multiplied by 1000 because I can't even speak the language here. I swear, after this weekend, I will go out and eat by myself! I just need to gain a little confidence with ordering/general restaurant/bar behavior here!

13. The Czech koruna (or crown) is the currency here. The heller has not been in circulation for several years, but price tags still include hellers. Therefore, your total is always rounded to the nearest crown. This confused me before I realized what was going on. Didn't our neighbors to the North in Canada just decide to do something similar with their penny?

14. Dogs go into restaurants, on the metro, everywhere.

15. Hearing little kids speak Czech, and especially roll their r's, is the cutest thing, ever!

16. Somebody asked me a question in Czech today, and I was able to answer them! (Okay, so really all she said as I was getting on the tram was, "Prosim, Moràň?" Since Moràň is my stop, I did indeed know that this tram stopped there, and I was able to nod "yes!" It was very exciting for me....)

17. My mom says my blog is ugly, so I have to change it.



Welp, that was pretty rando, but maybe you learned something (probably just that we have more than one fork, now)!

Ahoj!

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh, we of superior taste,intelligence, and creativity are forever being misunderstood and misquoted....

    I believe, as I recall, my comment was that I did not find the green blog background terribly attractive! But then I have never been partial to green...especially with a background design on it that looks like a microbiological petri dish experiment gone bad! Or,perhaps more exact, Scope mouthwash after it's been swished around in someone's mouth and spit out! My vote...ditch the algae, darling. Otherwise, well bloody done!!!

    Love, hugs, and smooches always!

    ~ Mother Dearest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You recall incorrectly. "Terribly attractive" was not the phrase you used. You specifically said "ugly."

      Rude.

      Delete
    2. Well!! Humph! I hope that you at the very least bought wooden clothes hangers!!
      Noooo metal hangers!!!

      ~ Mommy, Dearest

      Delete
  2. It must be a European thing, b/c people in the UK never said "excuse me" or apologized for bumping into you either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. You may have discovered this already, but you don't tip waitresses or bartenders in most of Europe. They'll look at you weird.

    Seester Magenta

    ReplyDelete